Quick Links

Quick Links

Harper Green

Welcome to SEN (Special Educational Needs)

Support for pupils and parents during Lockdown


Top Tips for working from Home

Learning from home visual

General Information/Frequently Asked Questions                

What should I do if I think my child has a Special Educational Need or Disability?

If you think your child has a Special Educational Need or Disability contact the school and make an appointment with Emma Price, the SENCo, to discuss your concerns and worries. The SENCo can be contacted on 01204 572941 or email pricee@harpergreen.net. Your concerns can also be expressed to your child’s Year Team who will pass the details onto the SENCo.

What is the school ethos/approach to SEN and Disability?

Harper Green is an inclusive school that works hard to ensure that children of all abilities achieve their potential. Our committed Learning Support team ensures that every pupil is given the opportunity to access the curriculum.

Our staff provide support within the classroom and through individual and group learning programmes. We are committed to the idea that all our pupils, regardless of ability, have an equal right to a broad and balanced curriculum. We work hard to ensure that this objective is met. The success achieved by our young people across the entire spectrum speaks for itself. We are proud that we are an inclusive school in every sense of the word.

It is crucial for all subjects that the department focuses on improving the reading ages of pupils. To this end, those pupils whose reading ages are substantially below their chronological age are withdrawn from one lesson per day, four days per week to receive additional support in Year 7. The pupils’ then move on to a computer programme in Year 8 to continue this pattern of support in a fun and stimulating way.

The success of these programmes is reflected in, among other benchmarks, the A-G overall pass rate at GCSE, outstanding KS3 SATs results among statemented pupils and those on School Action Plus and the rise in reading ages throughout Year 7 and 8.

The Learning Support Department also runs a three-time-a-day homework club, delivers anger management courses by trained staff and provides a “quiet space” for children with anxiety and other temporary difficulties.

How will I know how my child is doing in school?

All pupils within the school are assessed throughout the year in each of their curriculum subjects and interim reviews are sent out to parents throughout the year. The pupils also have their reading and spelling ages tested each year. On entry to the school in year 7 and again at the beginning of year 9, pupils complete Cognitive Ability Tests. Pupils with SEN, who also require additional specialised teaching are assessed a further three times in the school year to ensure they are making progress. Pupils with Statements or Educational Health Care Plans will have three reviews each year to ensure they are meeting or working towards the aspiration targets they have been set.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

Pupils have the support of their Achievement Coordinators, Year Team, the Learning Support Department and also the DEN. The Lunch Club also provides support for pupils and this is available through a process of referral through the Learning Support Department. Pupils can also be involved in the Social Skills Group and the Teen Talk intervention that are run by the Learning Support Department.

How will I be involved in discussions about, planning for, and involvement in, my child’s education?

Staff from the Learning Support department are available at each year groups parents evening. Parents are also welcome to arrange a meeting with staff from the department to discuss their child at any point during the year. Parents of pupils with Statements or EHCP will be invited to two meetings per year in school as well as a meeting on parents evening to discuss their child’s education.

How does school involve children and young people in their education and in the decision making process?

All statemented pupils or pupils with an EHCP will take part in their Child Centred Annual review. During this they will play a key role in the decision making process with regards to their education.

Who, outside of school, can I turn to for advice and support?

Parent Partnerships 01204 844806/848380

Time2Talk  01204 335945

Ladywood Outreach, Ladywood School, Masefield Road, Bolton BL3 1NG Tel; 01204 333400

Educational Psychology Service, Children’s Services Department, Paderborn House, Civic Centre, Bolton, BL1 1UA

CAMHS, Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Road, Farnworth, Bolton. BL4 0JR Tel: 01204 390659

Behaviour Support Service, 98 Waters Meeting Rd, Bolton, Lancashire BL1 8SW Tel:01204 338133

Sensory Support, Thomasson Memorial School, Devonshire Road, Bolton BL1 4PJ Tel: 01204 333118

Physiotherapist, Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Road, Farnworth, Bolton, Lancashire, BL4 0JR Telephone: 01204 390390

Occupational Therapist, Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Road, Farnworth, Bolton, Lancashire, BL4 0JR Telephone: 01204 390390

Disabled Living, Pikes Lane Health Centre, Address: Deane Road, Bolton, BL3 5HP Telephone: 01204 463700 -SENCATT, email office@sencatt.co.uk

School Counsellor, Head Office, Cathedral Centre, Salford

Speech and Language Therapy Service, Breightmet Health Centre, Breightmet Fold Lane, Bolton BL2 6NT Tel: 01204 462670

Bolton Information and Advisory Service, Lowndes Street, Bolton, BL1 4QB Telephone 01204 848722


Where can I find information about Local Authority provision for children and young people with SEN?

Please click on this link which will take you to the Bolton Council website.

How should complaints regarding SEN provision be made and how will they be dealt with?

Complaints should be made in line with school procedure. The details can be found on the school website.

Please click here.

How do I get a copy of the school SEN policy?

The new policy will be available both on the website or directly from school.

Who do I contact for further information?

Emma Price SENCo, Harper Green School, Harper Green Road, Farnworth, Bolton, BL4 0DH

Tel no 01204 572941  Email: pricee@harpergreen.net.

More Information

Please click here to see specific information relating to different types of Special Educational Needs.